// you're reading...

Sake

Sake of the week #032: Shichihonyari Junmai 80% Nama Genshu

It wasn’t long ago that Et-chan waxed rhapsodic about Shichihonyari, but I couldn’t resist coming back to them this week. The fact that we had two bottles in the fridge that we had ordered after Tomita Shuzo‘s recent visit to Takase-sensei’s benkyokai helped.

At a milling rate of just 80%, this doesn’t qualify for ginjo, but that doesn’t matter. Tomita Shuzo takes great care in their brewing and they have a strong direction. This bottle will give anyone a good, if very big and bold, grounding in their style of sake. First, it is made from local Tama Hikari rice. They take their roots and their traditions seriously. Second, it is quite clean has an excellent balanced finish that lingers just enough. Third, the rich sweetness even at a Nihonshudo of +7.5 is complemented with a strong acidity to yield a truly satisfying sip. I opened this one for a refreshing break from slaving over an overheated laptop and poured into my special pewter chokko for an indulgent end to the day. Time to look for something to snack on too, but nothing handy as the cupboard is pretty bare tonight. Too bad I can’t take this across the street to our local steak house and try that match up. I’m sure it would go nicely!

Discussion

9 Responses to “Sake of the week #032: Shichihonyari Junmai 80% Nama Genshu”

1. Oh man, SakayaNYC has the junmai for sale. Shall I?

Posted by Jocelyn | November 16, 2009, 5:30 am
  2. @Jocelyn Don’t hesitate. You definitely should!

Posted by Te-chan | November 16, 2009, 5:47 am
  3. That is, NOT the nama genshu.

Posted by Jocelyn | November 16, 2009, 5:55 am
  4. Even so, I still say go for it! Let us know how you like it.

Posted by Te-chan | November 16, 2009, 5:59 am
  5. You opened Shichihonyari while I am gone!? You found a nice new way to heat up ochoko-on your computer. How about USB sake heater?

Posted by et-chan | November 17, 2009, 3:26 am
  6. Sorry! I had to open something and there were two bottle of that one! Plus, I picked up a little surprise that I think you will enjoy after you get back.

Hmm… a USB kansuke sounds like a good idea! The Macbook gets pretty hot, but even if I upgrade to the Macbook Pro it might not be hot enough.

This one looks ideal, “USB Mug Heater with HUB,keep drink warm at 50-60 degree,individual Over current protection function,4Extra USB1.1or 2.0HUB ports” http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/225018206/USB_Mug_Heater_with_HUB.html

Posted by Te-chan | November 17, 2009, 7:48 am
  7. Well, hell yeah the junmai was awesome, edge of smokiness, fat mouthfeel, clean, balanced. May have to buy more…post to come.

Posted by Jocelyn | December 9, 2009, 9:08 pm
  8. Telephone System Supplier UAE | Office IP PBX Installation | Avaya Nortel NEC Panasonic Alcatel Dubai Abu dhabi Sharjah Ajman UAQ Alain RAK Fujairah UAE

Posted by vengatesh | March 9, 2016, 8:06 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. [...] and Te-chan at Tokyofoodcast were raving so much about the Shichihonyari 80% nama genshu that my fingers scrambled blindly to the Sakaya Web site to buy some. I couldn’t get the nama [...]